Tuesday, August 03, 2004

4...3...2...1... Earth Below us, drifting, falling...

Woke up this morning at 2am to see the messenger launch, and I think it was well worth it. The alarm went off and I bounced out of bed, much to Phoenix’s chagrin, who did not react with as much excitement from being forced out of her slumber in the middle of the night. I looked outside and saw the moon, so it was clear, and went to the launch website just to make sure nothing else had happened to cancel the launch. Much to my relief, it was on! I dragged poor Phoenix outside to the street, and was somewhat bummed because there was some cloud cover. After a couple of minutes, when I was sure that it should have gone off, I thought that there were too many clouds in the way. To my surprise, right when I was turning to go, there it was, like a bright flare going off in the distance burning though the slight haze that was in the sky. Phoenix and I watched as it got smaller and smaller and finally died away. Then went back to bed.

I love launches. Even from 40 miles away they inspire me.

No comments: