Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Its called fishing... If it was called catching, it would be a lot more productive.

Sorry I have been quiet for a few days, been busy… Or lazy, or something…

This weekend was quite a lot of fun. Saturday was a shopping day, and we picked up a cheap surf casting rod, and Sunday we went fishing out by New Smyrna Beach. Now mind you it was more of an exercise in getting wet and having fun then serious fishing. Not knowing exactly where to go to fish exactly, we tried it some on the main beach, and then we headed out closer to the jetties where we heard the fish were biting.
I have to admit, that New Smyrna beach overall is one of the flattest places I have ever tried to fish on the beach. No sandbar to cast to, no nothing, just plain flat hard compact sand. So we went in about waist deep (with the occasional wave smacking us head high) and had a ball just trying to stand up and hook bait. There seemed to be a lot of bites, but not a lot of catching at first. We bought some of those new “blood hooks” (i.e. red plated hooks) some G’s and some normal. The G’s were a bit too big for what was biting, but I did catch a small shark (about a foot long or so). We switched to the smaller hooks and Phoenix caught a small whiting and I caught a spot. Nothing amazing, but we had a lot of fun doing it. We were thrown out of the water (well I take that back, when we changed locations, we couldn’t go in) because there were thunderstorms raging in the area (it was raining, but hey we were wet already…) On the way to the jetty, we spotted a huge tortuous at the part we had to go though (well about 3 foot diameter.. not huge, but bigger then I have ever seen in the wild). The lightning was spectacular, but little did I know the show I would get later would be even better.
Eventually we petered out and Phoenix’s Catheter for her insulin pump slipped out into the water. Yipe! No back up, so it was time to go home ASAP. We figured that she would be fine as long as she didn’t get stressed about it on the way home, giving her a high blood sugar. Well, here we are sprinting on I-4, when we run into a wall of water. If it was any harder, it would have been sheets instead of raindrops. The lighting was hitting on either side of the road less then a mile away from us or so, and hitting every 30 seconds. Did I mention Phoenix is freaked out by lightning… as well as slow drivers? Well it petered out a bit, then hit us just as hard again about 5 minutes later, and poor Phoenix was in tears. Well, we got through it, and after it all, Phoenix pipes up with “Hey! That was fun!” I had to laugh. Kind of like that time she had her first ride on the Kracken at Sea World, she almost had a panic attack in line, screamed her head off in the ride, and thought it was great afterwards. She is so much fun to be with! *grin*
Well, we made it home safe, and this week is another week. KWAS is this weekend, and I am still not sure what I need to do, if anything, if I even need to show up etc. I guess I should call Carla. I am reservationists after all (well the figurehead… not that we have had many reservations). As a known world event, I think this is going to be a bomb ( less then 25 reservations), but as a collegium, I think it will be fine.

No comments: