Monday, July 05, 2004

4th of July weekend

What a great weekend!

As you can see by the pictures below, we did some fishing on Saturday, and when I say fishing, I do mean it… there was very little catching involved. Still, it was a good time. We fished off the jetty near the lighthouse in New Smyrna, but every time I cast, I got snagged on the rocks. Phoenix on the other hand had a wonderful time climbing on the rocks and looking at the crabs and barnacles, and even scratched herself a little. She is so much fun to watch. She has missed out on so much in life, that when I show her something new, she is like a little girl discovering a treasure. I can’t wait to bring her to Hawaii, she’ll go nuts!
So after hauling all the equipment back from the jetty, we headed out and stopped at that little park as shown in the pictures below. I think if we go camping down on the coast, we may go there… Actually… hmm… If we got a hotel room, we could bring the birds too.

(Turns to audience) Hey! Is there anyone out there who we could hire to spend about 4-6 hours with our birds and otherwise watch TV on Sat and Sun? Phoenix and I want to go camping, and we really cant bring the birds with us.

(Goes back to story)

Well, back to the park, I felt kind of silly trying to fish in a river with rods set up for surf casting, and had no lures to do any surface work. But seeing a bald eagle overhead was worth the stop. I also got my first catch of shrimp ever. First one Phoenix picked up pricked her finger with its horn, but they were fun to catch none the less. I wish they were eating size!

Next we went to the beach again, went out to the sand bar, and just as the fish started to bite, the storm came and we had to go home. Both Phoenix and I had a great time.

The next day, we went to Martin’s for 4th of July grilling, and it smashing as usual. Phoenix got some time to talk with Martin, and the fireworks display in combination with a cloud to cloud lightning storm (not to mention the spectacular rainbow at sunset) really made the day. Thank you Elizabeth for the garb!

No comments: